Church of St James
Date of Completion:
Church of St James is situated in the heart of Great Horwood. The turret on the tower, with its distinctive pointed roof, is a landmark which can be seen for miles. This historic religious building can be dated back to 1340, people have prayed here regularly for nearly 700 years. The works consisted of; Removing the existing temporary roof sheeting, removing of existing bitumen felt from the existing timber deck, once bitumen felt removed this enabled us to highlight any defected boards to the existing deck of which were removed and replaced with like for like materials. Installation of insulation underlay and membranes, timber firings, plywood deck to the full area of the roof. Ridge and Eaves ventilation with insect mesh to the full length and removal of existing lead flashings and replaced with new lead flashings inclusive of raking out and repointing. On site fabricated Zinc roof covering and timber battens to the full area of the roof. Upon inspection of the existing deck it highlighted significant undulations to the existing roof and with the fact the replacement roof covering was Zinc we needed to eradicate the undulations to the roof to ensure a quality finish. We therefore agreed with the Architect to install bespoke scribed timber firings to the areas in question and then overboard with a Plywood deck, undertaking this process eradicated all undulations ensuring we had a level deck to install Zinc roof covering and ensuring a quality finish was achieved.